‘Hu is short for human – human being, human race, humankind,’ said Pharrell. ‘But Hu, itself is also a reference to colour. As human beings, we all have a colour. We all look different, we all speak different languages, but we’re all connected.’
Building on the limited-edition Consortium NMD that launched exclusively to Shelflife in July, Pharrell and adidas return with a diverse range of full-colour footwear. Celebrating a spirit of equality, acceptance, co-existence and understanding, the collection features flags, stripes, and translations of the phrase “Human Race” in English, French, and Japanese. Pharrell sums up the collection’s message simply: ‘I play for the human race.
With the launch of Hu, Pharrell looks to shine a spotlight on communities around the world, sharing stories and traditions of humanity. In this first collection Native Americans from North Dakota invited Pharrell into their community to share their stories of compassion and culture, carrying on traditions of language, prayer, celebration and knowledge from one generation to the next.
‘I am so thankful to the people of MHA Nation who shared their journey and experiences with me. I want to use my platform for people to tell their stories and help empower people no matter where they’re from. By understanding humanity’s past, we will build a bridge to its future.’ - Pharrell Williams.
Footwear follows the precedent set by the yellow NMD trainer debuted in July 2016, but now offers 5 new colourways: scarlet, black, sharp blue, green, and tangerine. The shoes feature adidas Primeknit uppers, energy-returning white adidas Boost midsoles, and a breakthrough lacing system in which laces are woven through the stabilizer of the shoe’s cage, offering both support and freedom. The shoe also boasts an internal toe cap for a unique shape and a new modernized curved collar. Each colour is printed with its own split slogan, such as “Hu Race,” “Human Species,”or “Hue Man.” Instantly eye-catching with their bold visual language, these pieces form the foundation of the adidas Originals = PHARRELL WILLIAMS wardrobe for the coming season.
adidas Originals = PHARRELL WILLIAMS Hu launches on September 29, 2016 at Shelflife CPT & Shelflife JHB the release will take place through an online raffle system, with tickets being drawn at random from entries by Area 3
Consumers are able to sign up to stand an opportunity to win a chance to purchase a pair of the adidas Originals = PHARRELL WILLIAMS Hu from 12:00 on Monday the 26th of September until 12h:00 on Wednesday the 28th of September 2016 on www.area3.co.za. The raffle winners will be notified via telephone between 08:00 and 17:00 on Thursday the 29th of September 2016 and will be invited to come to the store that they signed up for in person to purchase the pair between 12:00 on Thursday29th September until 17:00 on Saturday the 1st of October 2016. T&C’s apply.
Enter the adidas Originals PHARRELL WILLIAMS Hu Online Raffle HERE
Online Raffle Rules1. This online raffle will open from 12h00 PM Monday 26th September 2016
2. This online raffle will close at 12h00 PM Wednesday 28th September 2016
3. Participating retailers are AREA3 in Johannesburg, Shelflife Cape Town and Johannesburg and the adidas Originals store in Mall of Africa
4. One entry per person only will be allowed with the selection of one retail store and one preferred colour option.
5.Any duplicated entries will automatically disqualify you from the raffle.
6. Successful entrants for all retailers will be notified by telephone on Thursday 29th September 2016 between 8am and 12pm.
7. Successful entrants will have the opportunity to purchase one pair of PHARRELL HU in their selected colour for a recommended price of R3999.00
8. Successful entrants must arrive at the respective store where they signed up to purchase their pair of PHARRELL HU.
9.Collections can only take place between 12h00 Thursday the 29th September through to 15:00 on Saturday the 1st of October or their pair will be forfeited.
10. Successful entrants may only purchase from the store they entered for in the online sign up form
Winning entrants must produce valid ID/Passport as supplied within the sign up form to gain entry to the respective store to purchase PHARRELL HU
11. All entrants into the PHARRELL HU raffle consent to their details being added to the adidas 3stripes mailing list.